Of the many thousands who attended the “Final Four” playoffs, and the additional millions who watched the events on television, probably few recalled that the first NCAA basketball tournament finale was played in the old Patten Gymnasium on the Northwestern University campus in Evanston, Illinois on March 27, 1939.
What is the biggest upset in March Madness history?
On March 16, 2018, the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) Retrievers became the first 16-seed to upset a 1-seed when they defeated the Virginia Cavaliers 74–54 in the first round.
15 vs. 2.
Which coach has the most NCAA tournament wins?
- Rick Pitino (54-20)┃2 Titles┃7 Finals Fours.
- Tom Izzo (52-22)┃1 Title┃8 Finals Fours.
- Jim Calhoun (51-20)┃3 Titles┃4 Finals Fours.
- Bill Self (49-21)┃1 Title┃3 Finals Fours.
- John Wooden (47-10)┃10 Titles┃12 Finals Fours.
- The 10 coaches with the most wins in NCAA Tournament history — guess who’s at the top?
What team won the very first NCAA women’s basketball tournament What year and who did they defeat?
The NCAA tournament was preceded by the AIAW Women’s Basketball Tournament, which was held annually from 1972 to 1982.
Women’s NCAA Division I basketball champions.
|Winner||South Carolina (1, 1–0 )|
|Opponent||Mississippi State (1, 0–1 )|