Players can prevent this ankle injury by wearing the proper athletic shoes that provide support and will help to avoid slipping on the court. An ankle brace is also a great way for players to support the joint and prevent a sprained ankle. Talk with your doctor or physical therapist about what is best for you.
How do you prevent foot and ankle injuries in basketball?
Podiatric physicians recommend stretching exercises and gradual warm-up before beginning vigorous play. A separate weight-lifting regimen of both upper and lower body muscles helps minimize the impact of chronic injuries before they happen. Another means of preventing injuries while playing basketball is a proper shoe.
How can ankle injuries be prevented?
Tips for Preventing Foot and Ankle Injuries
- Warm up prior to any sports activity. …
- Condition your muscles for the sport. …
- Choose athletic shoes specifically for your foot type. …
- Replace athletic shoes when the tread wears out or the heels wear down. …
- Avoid running or stepping on uneven surfaces.
What are 5 ways to prevent ankle injuries?
5 Ways to Reduce Your Chance of an Ankle Sprain
- Balance Training. By improving your ability to balance, you’re honing your body’s proprioception or ability to control itself in all types of positions. …
- Ankle Strengthening. …
- Flexibility. …
- Taping and Bracing. …
- Adequate Preparation for Activity.
Why are ankle injuries so common in basketball?
Basketball players put a lot of stress on their feet, which can often lead to injuries. One of the most commonly injured areas in the foot is the plantar fascia, a long, thin ligament that runs along the bottom of the foot, connecting the heel to the front of the foot.
What are the most common basketball injuries?
Common Basketball Injuries
- Ankle sprains.
- Achilles tendonitis.
- Knee tendonitis.
- Osgood-Schlatter disease.
Do ankle sprains ever fully heal?
They can take longer to heal and sometimes require longer than three months to resolve with treatments like splinting, wearing a boot or a walking cast, and physical therapy. With the proper treatment, however, your high ankle sprain can heal completely.
Does ankle taping prevent injury?
The general consensus is that taping does help prevent re-injury. There are two most likely explanations for this. First, tape gives the joint mechanical support. The tape keeps the ankle joint from moving too far in any one direction.
How can I strengthen my ankle?
Sitting in a chair, raise your foot off the floor, and place a resistance band under the ball of your foot, holding the ends of the band with your hands. Slowly flex your ankle down as far as you can. Then slowly return your foot back to the starting position. Repeat 10 times on each foot.
Does spraining your ankle make it weaker?
When the ankle doesn’t heal properly, you’re more vulnerable to spraining it again. Each sprain can weaken the structure of the ankle, causing chronic instability. Patients with chronic ankle instability experience: Pain or tenderness.
How can I prevent my ankles from rolling?
Try the following simple range-of-motion exercises:
- Trace the alphabet with your toe, which encourages ankle movement in all directions. Trace the alphabet 1 to 3 times.
- Sit in a chair with your foot flat on the floor. Slowly move your knee side to side while keeping your foot pressed flat. Continue for 2 to 3 minutes.