Basketball is a contact sport that can result in injuries. The most common injuries are due to falls, contact, awkward landings, abrupt changes in direction and being hit by the ball. Using the right techniques and equipment for the sport can help prevent injury.
What are the dangers of basketball?
Injuries to the lower body, mostly ankle sprains. Injuries to the hand, fingers, head, face and teeth. Knee injuries – females are at higher risk of knee injury than males. Overuse injuries – are most common in higher level players due to the duration and intensity of play.
How is basketball the most dangerous sport?
Two years ago, the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSP) named basketball the most dangerous sport because of the amount of injuries incurred, which makes hazards in basketball an issue of which to take note.
Is basketball harmful to health?
Perhaps, one of the more dreaded sports injuries while playing basketball are ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) tears caused by excessive stretching of the ligament. These injuries often occur from sudden stopping while running and shifting your body weight from one leg to another.
What are the 13 rules of basketball?
Dr. James Naismith’s Original 13 Rules of Basketball
- The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
- The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands (never with the fist).
- A player cannot run with the ball.
How can I be safe in basketball?
Preventing and Treating Basketball Injuries
- Wear gym shoes that fit snugly, are non-skid and have high tops.
- Use a mouth guard, ankle braces and safety glasses.
- Warm up and stretch before each session.
- Use proper technique and follow the rules.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Play on a clean, dry, safe surface.
What sport has the most injuries 2020?
Believe it or not, basketball actually has more injuries than any other sport, followed by football, soccer and baseball. Common sports injuries include hamstring strains, groin pulls, shin splints, ACL tears and concussions.
Is basketball a safe sport?
This is why you are here you are wondering is basketball a safe sport to play? Basketball is a non-contact sport, it is safe to play but just like any sports injuries, they can happen. … It is an excellent way for kids to make friends, learn team play, and stay active.
What is the number 1 most dangerous sport in the world?
Most Dangerous Sports
- Bull Riding Bull riding is a rodeo sport that involves a rider getting on a bucking bull and attempting to stay mounted while the animal tries to buck off the rider. …
- Horseback Riding Horseback riding (or Equestrian) is one of the most intense sports known to man. …