: a usually indoor court game between two teams of usually five players each who score by tossing an inflated ball through a raised goal also : the ball used in this game.
What does basketball mean to us?
A basketball could be just a toy for many, or even represent a release for others, but for me, it means a lot more. A basketball represents my blood, sweat, tears, passion, sacrifice, and most of all, a sense of belonging, like a family. … Basketball gave me an open opportunity to try something new.
What is basketball in a sentence?
1. a game played on a court by two opposing teams of 5 players; points are scored by throwing the ball through an elevated horizontal hoop 2. an inflated ball used in playing basketball. … He dramatized the biography of the basketball star.
What is basketball in your own words?
The definition of basketball is a game played by two 5-player teams, the object of which is to get the ball through the opposing player’s hoop the most times to score the most points, or a large ball that is used in the game. … An example of basketball is the game played by Michael Jordan.
What are the 13 rules of basketball?
Dr. James Naismith’s Original 13 Rules of Basketball
- The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
- The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands (never with the fist).
- A player cannot run with the ball.
What are the 5 main rules in basketball?
What Are the Rules of Basketball?
- Only five players per team on the court. …
- Score more than your opponent to win. …
- Score within the shot clock. …
- Dribbling advances the ball. …
- The offense has five seconds to inbound the ball. …
- The offense must advance the ball. …
- Ball and ballhandler must remain inbounds.
Is there a 6 pointer in basketball?
In a six-pointer game, the result is particularly crucial since the winning team denies three points to the close rival in addition to securing three points for itself. …
Is basketball good for the heart?
Boosts heart health
According to research from 2019, basketball increases resting heart rates, which has a positive effect on cardiorespiratory fitness. This is linked to a lower chance of developing cardiovascular disease.