What are the 5 basic rules of basketball?
When a player has the basketball there are certain rules they must follow:
- The player must bounce, or dribble, the ball with one hand while moving both feet. …
- The basketball player can only take one turn at dribbling. …
- The ball must stay in bounds. …
- The players hand must be on top of the ball while dribbling.
What are the time violations in basketball?
The timing violations are:
- 3 seconds. Once a team has the ball in their front court, an offensive player cannot be in the “key” for more than 3 seconds. …
- 5 seconds. A player with the ball that has an opponent guarding them closely must pass, shoot or dribble within 5 seconds.
- 8 seconds. …
- 14 seconds. …
- 24 seconds.
What is violation?
: the act of violating : the state of being violated: such as. a : infringement, transgression specifically : an infringement of the rules in sports that is less serious than a foul and usually involves technicalities of play. b : an act of irreverence or desecration : profanation.
What is the 10 second rule in basketball?
The NBA rulebook says a player has 10 seconds to shoot a free throw after receiving the ball from the official. If he takes more than 10 seconds, he is in violation of league rules, and is thus penalized. The opponent gets possession.
What are the 13 rules in basketball?
Dr. James Naismith’s Original 13 Rules of Basketball
- The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
- The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands (never with the fist).
- A player cannot run with the ball.
What is not allowed in basketball?
Violations in basketball include travelling (taking more than one step without bouncing the ball), double dribble (picking the ball up dribbling, stopping then dribbling again with two hands), goaltending (a defensive player interferes with the ball travelling downwards towards the basket) and back court violation ( …